Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Goodbye Maternity Leave (Week 12)

Last week was the end of my maternity leave. 12 weeks. It really flew by.

On Saturday, we loaded up the car and headed to Oklahoma to see my mom's dad (my Pawpaw Skip) & his wife. They have been wanting to see Rhodes since he was born and apparently couldn't figure out why we hadn't brought him up there yet (um HELLO? He's a newborn) so they were tickled to finally see us…I mean, HIM. :)

My grandpa got teary when he saw Rhodie for the first time and he kept talking about how neat it was to see him.  Rhodes is my Pawpaw Skip's first great-grandchild.  Clara, his wife, has 27…she thinks…she has a list where she has written them all down. Bless. My Pawpaw has Parkinson's and it is hard for him to get around or sometimes to even find the right words, but this visit? It was a good visit. I am so happy we got to see them. 

I went back to work Monday. I cried off and on for a few hours the night before, cried when I kissed by husband and baby goodbye the next morning, cried when my husband and baby-face-timed me when I got to work, and teared up a few times throughout the day.  Thankfully (I guess) our census is very high and I had four babies and was running around all day long. I also had several friends and some family members text me words of encouragement, so that helped a little.

Rhodie stayed with my mom and my oldest brother & I'm pretty sure he might have not even realized I was gone all day long. He had a great day, as my brother kept telling me. It was a relief but my heart was broken all day. Everyone says "it will get easier" but I don't know if it really will or if I'll just get used to it. I have to work two days in a row this weekend and I am not looking forward to it.

Enough with the sad stuff! 

This week Rhodie has learned to blow bubbles and it tickles us to death.  He's so sweet and smiley and he is just the best baby ever! He's still growing like a weed and has rolls for days, which I LOVE! Last week he slept through the night like a champ. Sunday night, my husband commented on how he kind of missed getting up with Rhodie in the night and having him sleep on his chest…big mistake.  The boy hasn't slept through the night since. 

Thanks a lot, husband! ;)

Also, Rhodes had been doing a trick at night.  I will lay him in his bed long ways, and in the morning we will wake up and he will be laying sideways across the middle of his bed, still swaddled. It's so funny!

Yesterday, my youngest brother Clark showed up at my doorstep.  It was such a fun surprise! We ending up eating dinner at my parents' house and visiting with him for a little while. He had also written a letter and mailed it to Rhodes (so sweet) and made me wait until after he left to read it to him.

That's all I have for now! My big boy will be three months old on Saturday and I am going to snuggle him as much as I can since babies don't keep!

'Tis the Season,

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment