Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Beach Trip 2012

Since my husband had to work long hours all week (their busy season is starting), he let me go to the beach with my family for my Spring Break. He was going to be busy and thought I would be bored all week. "He's so thoughtful that way..." Wicked reference anyone? 


We left on Sunday at 7:30(ish) aka 7:42 am. We were close enough to the intended time that my dad didn't talk about how we were going to make up those 12 minutes for TOO long....only two-three hours. Regardless, it was a pretty smooth road trip. 


Best quotes of the trip thus far go to Joshua.


1) When we saw the USS Alabama (ship) on the way in:  Joshua - "Ooooh look the Titanic." and then after a brief second of reflection, "I thought it sank when it hit that iceberg, he-he-he!"


2) Once we could really see the ocean in AL:  Joshua (out of the blue) - "I bet I could outrun a shark on land...they aren't AS fast on land." (whaaaat?!?!?!) 


Let's just say he is hilarious. I want to write a book with all his Joshua-isms, as I call them. It would be a New York Times Best Seller.


We are staying at a place called Pelican Pointe in Orange Beach, AL. We have stayed here before and it's really nice around Spring Break because it's more of a family beach than a high school/college party scene. 


I woke up early on Monday morning because I am as white as a ghost and I couldn't wait to get my beach tan on. Sadly, it was strangely fogging ALL morning until about noon and we went down to the beach around 1. I laid out the entire 3 hours we were down there and I'm pretty sure I don't have a tan line. I think my skin is rebelling against me for all the years of life-guarding and laying out at the pool when I was younger. I used to get so tan...(sigh)


We ate at a place called the Original Oyster House in Gulf Shores (like 30 min down the road from OB) and it was very good! I tried my first oyster last night! It was fried...but still....baby steps. One of my goals for 2012 was to start trying new things. I really want to try a lot of new foods so that when we travel different places I will be able to find at least one thing that I like on the menu. I wish I could say the same for Aaron- LOL! :) I had a crab meat stuffed flounder filet and some fried shrimp- deeelicious! Anyways...we decided to go to a place called Scoops for ice cream last night. My dad said "Do we have any ice cream at the house?" and we said no because my mom and I didn't get any when we bought groceries, so we decided to get ice cream. I asked my dad if he was going to get any and he said no! What the heck? Wasn't he just the one suggesting it? Weren't we going to get ice cream because he wanted some? Oh how I forgot how funny my family is....oh yeah, and he ended up getting ice cream anyways. Lawd... :)


Walking through the parking lot, I saw a car with a OBU Swimming sticker and thought "Oh, well maybe I will know them!" THEN I saw that the license plate was from Illinois! I just knew it had to be my friend (since we were single digits) Caitlin Boren! We walked in and there she was! So exciting to run in to her! She is a senior at OBU and was there with some swimmers from her team on their break. I have known Caitlin, like I said, since we were single digits age-wise! We swam together on the Searcy Sharks for years. I was so upset when they moved to Carbondale, IL my junior/her sophomore year and then so excited when she came to swim at OBU. We came back and watched Puss in Boots and according to Joshua, "It wasn't a bad movie..." but it was good to watch it as a family. Well, I say that, but at one point I looked up from the movie and 4/5 of us were on our phones while "watching" the movie. Oy vey!


I am happy to be with my family, thankful they let me come with them on this trip, and thrilled to be at the beach, BUT I really miss my husband. This will be the longest time I have been away from him since we got married! Speaking of marriage, our 10 monthiversary is Wednesday! :) One year will be here before we know it!


Day two is already looking more promising! I woke up before 7:00 am (on a vacay!) and watched the sun rise a little bit. I will post pictures of that later! It is breakfast time :)


Enjoy today,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment