Friday, August 26, 2016

Our Baby Boy: 10 Weeks Old (WOW!)

We are in the double digits people!

Rhodie Man is 10 weeks old and he definitely had a big week!

Week 10:

-He smiles and coos A LOT (and this Mommy still almost cries every time)
-He acts a little bashful when he smiles and it is the most precious thing ever.
-Pretty sure he smiled at his puppy brother the other day. Progress!
-We are LOVING our play mat this week! There is a little mobile that rotates in the center above the mat and a few little toys that hang down and we love to stare, swat, and talk to those. We lay on the play mat several different times in the morning and maybe once at night to get that last little bit of energy out! I've tried to give him plenty of tummy time, but he ends up stretching out and taking a nap instead.  Since I'm right there beside him, I usually just let him sleep once he gets started. It's so cute.
-We have face-timed our uncles this week and even though I don't think he gets it, he tries to "talk" to whoever's face is on the screen. 
-We had our 2 mo appointment and Rhodes did great! He weighs 14 lbs 12.8 oz and has grown 2 inches in length (23.5) and his head is an inch bigger (16.5)! :) He gets it from his Momma! 

Rhodes had to get his 2 month shots at this check up.  Working in the NICU, I have given 2 mo. immunizations before, although it's not very common, so I knew what to expect.  I knew that he was going to get two shots.  He also got one oral med, which he tolerated well and I was proud! The shots were a different story.  The Dr said that two nurses would come in and "double-team" him so to speak, so it would be faster and less traumatic (YEAH RIGHT) for the baby.  One nurse came in and gave the oral med, then the second nurse joined her for the shots.  Of course, Rhodes had a moment after he got his shots. I can't blame him, those suckers hurt & I still flinch when I have to get stuck for anything.  But the thing that hurts me the most is that my baby hasn't experience much pain in his life (besides his circ which he'll thankfully never remember!) and it is heart-wrenching to see him cry like that.  I know the shots are for his benefit, but it broke my heart.  My mom came with us and she shed a few tears in the room after it was all said and done. I may or may not have broken out in a cold sweat & gotten light-headed once we left because I was so overwhelmed with my nervousness & sadness. 

Once I got him settled down, we loaded up and got the heck out of there because all I wanted to do was feed and snuggle my baby boy.  He slept soundly for a little while, but when he woke he would cry and cry this pitiful, sad cry. UGH. AWFUL.

At one point that afternoon, it took me a while to console him and I began to cry. We just cried together and rocked in the rocker. I'm sure it was quite the sight. Just thinking about it is enough to get me tuned up again….that and the two spiderman bandaids on his chubby little thighs….and how around his little eyes it was red because he had been crying so hard... It hurts my heart :(

Finally, that night, Aaron had Rhodie on the changing table and I came in there to talk to them and I got a smile out of my sweet boy.  It had taken all day, but that precious smile made me feel so much better.  I ended up giving him some baby tylenol for pain and he slept okay-ish for the rest of the night.  

The next morning, I had my happy boy back and that made all the difference.  

I am thankful for modern medicine and hospitals and doctors and nurses….and I am so thankful that we are blessed with insurance and good healthcare. 

I'm also thankful for the health of my little guy.  SO thankful.

And now I'm dreading the 4 & 6 month shots :\

in the words of Rhodie's Uncle Fred…"I'm not talking about that right now."

'Tis the Season,
Holly


No comments:

Post a Comment