Friday, July 1, 2016

Our baby boy: Week 1 (6/24/16)

Our first week with our son Rhodes is in the books. 

I've already cried about it. Not that I'm even that sad about it. But I am. Or maybe it's the lack of sleep.

We came home on Monday and our new reality set in. I'm trying to nurse every 3 hours (give or take) and let's just say…momma's parts are sore. Yee-ouch! 

Our 10 year old yorkie is adjusting too. The first day we were home, he shook and acted like every little noise freaked him out. Now he gets up and goes with us every time we take "his baby" out of the room or runs over if Rhodes as much as sneezes. 

Our first pediatrician appointment was Wednesday. We might have been late…like 5 minutes after our appointment time (we needed to be there 30 minutes early for paperwork) so, whoops! It ended up being fine. We saw a nurse and she did an assessment and a jaundice check and our boy weighed albs 7oz, which is what he weighed at discharge, so we could tell that he was still eating well! She didn't even want to stick him (thankfully!!) for a bilirubin check because she said he looked great. :) So proud of our boy!

We had a couple of rough nights this week. Thankfully, Aaron has been home all week and we've been able to tag team the diaper changes and holding our fussy baby in the wee hours of the morning. I'm thankful.

On his fourth day of life (6/21) we were trying out our baby swing. He seemed to be enjoying himself.  THEN we heard the noise. If you've ever been around a baby, you know the noise I'm talking about. The dirty diaper noise. Being a NICU nurse, I know that sometimes, you can change a baby when you think they are done with their business, only for them to wreck the next one, two, or four diapers because they are, in fact, not done. BEEN THERE.  So I decided to wait a few more minutes. 

More noises. 

Then my older brother Joshua said "Whew! Rhodie!" and we began to smell the dirty diaper. I walked over to scoop up the baby and while I was standing in the living room, my mom gasped and said the diaper was leaking. 

SURE ENOUGH.

It continued to drip the whole way to the nursery. 

Did I mention we have WHITE carpet in the living room?! WHITE. 

I finally got him changed and came back to the living room to the funniest site. My husband and my baby brother on their hands and knees scrubbing baby poop out of the carpet, my oldest brother Joshua climbing the walls to get away from the mess and the smell and ALL OF IT (ha!) and my mom rummaging through our cabinets trying to find stuff to clean with.  We didn't have much. We moved in at the end of May and I hadn't quite stocked our new house up with everything we needed. My bad ;)

I sat down on the couch and lost it. I laughed so hard it hurt my incision.  My husband was pacing the living room and researching how much it would cost to put in hardwood floors. It was just SO funny! 

Our first week with our baby was eye-opening. I work with babies but it's still so different having your own. I'm sore, I'm tired, and I'm hormonal. BLESS my husband's heart. But we make a good team and I told him it's only going to get better. We are so blessed with a sweet, snuggly baby. We love him so much. I can't imagine life without him now. I look at his little face and thank the Lord for him all day long. Especially during those hard hours from 12am-5am. He doesn't really care for that time of day. :)

'Tis the Season,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment