Thursday, May 31, 2012

Thankful Thursday: AR State Special Olympics



I haven't done a Thankful Thursday in a few weeks...
I'm slacking, I know!


Today I am Thankful for: 

SPECIAL OLYMPICS

My oldest brother has Down Syndrome. He has competed in Special Olympics since he was in elementary school. I am SO thankful that Special Olympics was created for people with special needs. There are events for EVERYONE, no matter what the handicap. 

We were blessed to be able to travel to Searcy this past weekend to watch Joshua compete in the State Special Olympics at Harding University.
Joshua used to do more running events, but over time he got hooked on power-lifting. 
My dad even got certified as his coach and they go to the gym just about every day.

(that's my Dad spotting Joshua)

Joshua got to compete in the bench press and the dead lift. It is AMAZING to see people who are physically and/or mentally disabled get up there and perform. There was a man (who could BARELY walk, y'all!) that shuffled up behind the bar and then dead-lifted 300 lbs. THREE HUNDRED POUNDS! Isn't that insane?! I can't remember Joshua's final bench press weight, but his final dead lift was 205. TWO HUNDRED AND FIVE POUNDS. 

Did I mention that he is 5'0'' and about 125lbs? 

HE IS SO STRONG.

It is just amazing. 

It puts so much in perspective. If you ever have a chance to attend any type of Special Olympics event, you really should. It's life-changing. It shows you that you can do anything you put your mind to, no matter your physical or mental limitations. And if you aren't sure if you can, you must at least TRY.

There is no such thing as failure in Special Olympics. There are no losers. 
The motto for Special Olympics is:

"Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be faithful in my attempt."

Pretty good advice for anyone, don't you think?

Here's some pictures...




my favorite picture. Look at that face!!

my 2nd favorite. He's smiling bc he knows he has it! :)


3 gold medals (Bench, Dead-lift, Combo)

Needless to say, we are super proud of him!


-Holly




No comments:

Post a Comment